Best Tattoo Chair Review 2017
Did you like our tattoo table feature? Then you’ll love this one. Tattoo chairs for yourself and your clients can run you a pretty penny, but we quality checked these to ensure you get the best deals in all tiers of business. Whether you run a small shop with just yourself or a business with several other artists, something here fits you perfectly. And, unlike last time, we focus on a few chairs just for artists! Sitting for hours at a time is momentary for a client, but the norm for you. You need to make sure you feel great while working your job, because let’s face it—sore butts are kind of distracting to work ethic. Prices range from cheap ($) to expensive ($$$).
Related Article: The Best Tattoo Table Review
Don’t have time to read the full article? We got you covered! Below is our favorite Tattoo Chair for tattoo artists.
Why Get a Tattoo Stool?
Every shop requires tattoo stools. If yours doesn’t have them, I’m sorry about that. Going in every day just to sit in the same old plastic chair wears on you. You should look forward to sitting down and working a job you love, but if your seat isn’t cozy, you can’t do that. Adjusting yourself constantly, in addition to moving your customer into the correct angle after that, detracts from your focus and the quality of the tattoo.
Planned properly, a combo of nice stools for yourself and good tattoo tables for your clients makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone involved. Some tattoo chair and table designs incorporate elements to keep your hands steady, keep the customer cozy but movable, and allow you both freedom of movement for especially large designs. If your shop creates a good experience for your clients, they will return and keep your shop in business. Every little feature of your shop counts, and comfortable chairs go a long way towards a good impression.
Don’t have time to read the full article? We got you covered! Below is our favorite Tattoo Chair/Table for your clients to comfortable rest on even during long sessions.
How I Selected Tattoo Stools
I picked out these stools based on comfort, features, designer reputation, and affordability. Great brands like InkBed and HomCom live up to their name and sell various levels of tattoo chairs and stools for you and your clients. On the other hand, not all shops have that much money to spare on upgrading their furniture, so I included affordable brands and designs as well.
What to Look for in a Tattoo Stool
Shops need tattoo chairs and tables from the very beginning if they intend to carry a professional image, but what sort of stool should you purchase? That depends on what sort of needs you have as an artist. A tattoo artist that frequents cons doesn’t need a fancy getup if they can’t move it anywhere. For people like that, portable tattoo chairs work perfectly! A small shop just needs one chair and one stool, and can get stand-ins for the other furniture required. A big shop absolutely needs hydraulic chairs and stools made for tattoo artists in order to offer the best experience to their clients and artists.
The list of different types of features goes on, but I focused on the most obvious ones to help you get started. If you need mobility, you need an adjustable chair. Small shop? Then you need affordable and comfortable seats. Large Shop or large budget? Go for the expensive ones, because they have lock-in adjustable tattoo chairs, stools, and tables that help you with work.
Portable Tattoo Chair
A portable tattoo chair usually sacrifices coziness for convenience. Available in plastic or pleather, these seats serve their function and remain durable during trips and at conventions. They fold up into an easily carried case that you can stuff into the trunk of a normal car with room to spare. For these chairs, their weight tends to indicate how comfortable they feel. Extra weight makes them hard to lift, so test what weight you can lift comfortably before purchasing.
Hydraulic Tattoo Chair
Hydraulics help move clients and artists without putting stress on their muscles. Pressurized air or water moves the chair for you. The relief helps your future health—especially when it comes to your back—and makes clients of all sizes easy to move. The hiss and pop of the hydraulic system also gives it a sci-fi flair. Barbers have similar chairs, and they serve the same purpose—making sure you can focus on work while keeping the client comfortable.
Tattoo Artist Chair
Let’s ignore the clients for a little bit. What about you? Moving around with a fold-out chair proves difficult when you’re trying to stretch your client’s skin at the same time. Keeping your knees, legs, and torso steady while kneeling or standing next to a client takes away from the attention and focus your inking hand needs. A seat designated just for you—and specialized for the tattoo world—ensures that you can deliver your best effort and highest quality tattoo to your client.
Amazon Tattoo Chair
With all of this in mind, I scoured Amazon to find these awesome tattoo chairs. No matter who you are or what you need, you’ll find something on this list that you need as a tattoo artist. If your wallet is empty, perhaps it’s better not to look…lest you be too tempted! This time, I wrote them in the order I found them. Use the features, pros, and cons to select which one you want. Of course, affordability is always a pro!
InkBed Adjustable Ergonomic Tattoo Chair & Tattoo Stool With Chest Back Rest Support
It’s time. Time for the best tattoo chair out there! If you manage a pro shop or simply want to treat yourself, this is what you need to get. It’s a stool specifically designed around tattoo artists! The armrests bend and move according to your needs, and that helps keep your inking hand very steady! The support is movable, allowing you to sit ‘backwards’ and relieve the tension in your back while sitting. Get it here.
The seat fits people of all sizes, and the cushion design works from various angles. You can pick whatever configuration that makes you comfortable! As one might expect of ‘the-best-of-the-best artist chair,’ InkBed manufactures this seat just for tattoo artists.
- Heavy duty construction, tested to support 300lbs
- Fold down armwings has 3″ thick foam and adjusts into 15 different angles
- Extra wide seat for maximum comfort and stability
- Extendable/Removeable back rest for customizeable comfort
- Adjustable Back/Chest rest can be locked in any desired angle
- Made explicitly for tattoo artists
- Armrests for artists
- Everything (height, position, and angle) can be adjusted.
- On the pricier side ($$)
InkBed Hydraulic Client Tattoo Chair
This beautiful chair comes all on its own, but it has plenty of features to offer your store. When you have a large customer and need to make them comfortable, the armrests and legrests swivel out of the way, and the frame holds them up. On top of that, the hydraulic system means you don’t feel the weight of your clients as you swivel them, move them around, or have them adjust their pose. You can opt for a stable base or a base on wheels to keep your chair mobile in your shop. The height of the chair remains easily adjustable. Get it here.
What sort of tattoo chair do you want to sit in when someone inks you? The answer is this one, obviously. So why would you settle on less for your clients? More affordable options populate this list, but if you want the best chair for your store, then you need this.
- Steel construction base, reinforced.
- The removable headrest pillow insert exposes a face cradle.
- Fully adjustable swing-out leg rests. Independently adjustable.
- Extendable leg rests.
- Separately controlled legrests and armrests on a 360° hydraulic lift pump offers maximum customization. Locking wheels.
- Cobra-Style backrest.
- Client hand rests and adjustable rear-facing foot rest.
- OPTIONAL Adjustable Arm Rest ($119): Each tilts and swivels according to your need. Can easily be removed or attached without tools.
- Ensures client comfort & optimal work surface.
- Two Base Options
- Hydraulic System
- Great Brand
- Cost: Average ($$)
- Not Included in a Set
Massage Table/Bed/Chair from Best Choice Products (Includes Stool)
This simple set makes the perfect addition to any new shop. Most of the cost goes into a firm, steady frame that keeps the client still and secure while you do your delicate work. The table converts quickly into a massage-style desk, with a 6” hole behind the headrest for your clients to rest their face in. Clients getting back tattoos need to lay on their stomachs to give you full access, and this chair gives them a way to do that without hanging their head in a strange position. Including the stool in their item helps you with the shipping price—you only need to pay shipping once to get both the tattoo chair and the stool. Overall, this basic set forms a good start to a shop for a new tattoo artist! Get it here.
- 3 Sections (Folding design)
- Durable PU leather (waterproof & oil resistant)
- Removable cushion armrests
- Capacity: 500lbs
- Dimensions: 24″ (W) X 71″ (L)
- Good for new shops ($)
- Reclining tattoo bed
- Includes a stool for artists
- Easy to clean
- Stool has no exclusive features for tattoo artists
InkBed Tattoo Reclining Sturdy Hydraulic Ink Chair
One of the best tattoo brands out there, InkBed doesn’t disappoint with this setup. The cobra back offers support to your client while keeping the client’s sides accessible. The hydraulic chair keeps you from hurting your back and it locks into position easily. InkBed designed the base so that it won’t slide, no matter how much your clients swivel around in that chair. Both the arm rests and the leg rests move out of your way when you don’t need them. This chair gives your shop a professional and clean look, and every feature makes sure that both you and your client walk out of the shop in a good mood. It’s an absolute must for any professional tattoo shop. Get it here.
- Internationally Patented – The only chair designed by tattoo artists for tattoo artists
- Swing-out Leg rests: Give you unobstructed access to your clients shoulders and back.
- Cobra-Style Backrest: Clients can sit upright for back-work for maximum comfort
- 180° Armrests: Can be swiveled out of the way, or flipped to convert for the chair for back work.
- Cobra back rest
- Adjustable/removable armrests & leg rests
- Easy to Clean
- Incredibly Comfy
- No headrest hole
- Not designed to lay flat
- Definitely not mobile
- Cost ($$$)
InkBed Tattoo Package Massage Table Chair, Arm Bar & Ink Bed Tray Studio Salon Equipment
Here’s a more affordable chair from InkBed. It might be the most you can get for your money compared to the others on this list. This kit comes with a slew of furniture, including a simple hydraulic stool for tattoo artists, an armrest that helps with tattoo work, and a tool tray to keep yourself organized. The tattoo chair itself looks a little simple, but it’s as comfortable as it needs to be, and quite large to accommodate clients. Get it here.
With the adjustable height of both chairs and the armrest, you can ink with perfect precision. On top of that, the chair lasts for ages and works well alongside new chairs, since the fanciest chairs here don’t tend to recline like this one does. With all of the extra stuff included, how could you not want this set?
- Welded Steel Base: Welded Steel base construction ensures reliable service for years to come.
- Removable Arms: Arms can be quickly and easily removed (no tools required)
- Removable Pillow: Remove the pillow from the headrest to expose the Face Opening
- Extendable Headrest: Headrest extends an additional 6″ for taller clients
- High Density Comfort Foam Padding: 4″ thick high density foam for extreme comfort.
- Headrest extends for tall clients
- Face Opening
- Includes a cool artist tattoo chair, a tray, and an armrest just for you!
- Cost: $$
- Both chairs have few extra features—just the core needs for a tattoo artist!
Black Adjustable Tattoo Table From InkBed
This chair lays all the way back, letting you position your clients on their stomachs to tattoo their backs. This tattoo bed offers a mid-priced quality tier for those of you looking to replace an old chair or add a new one to your small shop. It fits both tall and skinny clients and short and fat clients, since the headrest extends and the chair itself can hold 400lbs. You can set this chair up faster than you could build a bookshelf from Ikea, that’s for sure. Get it here.
For what it’s worth, the seller ships them quickly as well! Well, to be honest, we should already expect that from InkBed. This chair works well along other InkBed products, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you could purchase some add-ons from the company to refresh your shop later down the road. The chair fills up the room well, so get your chair in there before you do any interior designing.
- Extendable Headrest: Headrest extends an additional 6″ for taller clients.
- Removable Arms: Arms can be quickly and easily removed (no tools required).
- High Density Comfort Foam Padding: 4″ thick high density foam for extreme comfort.
- 1-Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Includes a free chair
- Adjustable and removable headrest
- Steady frame
- Removable Armrests
- Warranty! Woohoo!
- Only slightly cheaper than the bundle above, which comes with more stuff ($$)
- The artist tattoo chair is small
- Can’t adjust chair height
TMS® 73″ Adjustable Tattoo Massage Bed Facial Beauty Barber Chair w/ Hydraulic Stool
The tattoo world doesn’t revolve around InkBed—even if it seems to sometimes. Here is a chair from a completely different brand. It has the same features as the basic InkBed, but comes priced more affordably. It also includes a simple artist stool to help you get started. While the features do leave a little to be desired, it meets all the basic needs of a tattoo artist.
Like everything on this list, the chair is larger than it appears online. How else could you fit clients of all sizes on it? I find that the arm rests flex a little too much when you place weight—or, you know, an arm—on them. For stuff like arm tattoos, forego the armrests entirely and use something else to keep your client steady. Get it at Amazon.
- 3 Section facial bed massage table.
- Folding design provides easy transportation.
- Durable Synthetic leather (waterproof & oil resistant).
- Solid welded steel sturdy frame stand.
- Removable cushion armrests.
- Removable head cushion with face hole for massage table conversion.
- Adjustable thick backrest and footrest.
- Automatic lock provides the table with strength and stability.
- Non-slip feet (prevents the table from shifting and floors from gouging).
- Round corner design for safety.
- Very Affordable ($)
- Large Size
- Stationary Chair
- Structure causes some clients to slide
- Stool is very short
TMS Adjustable Black Tattoo Stool – Hydraulic Rolling Tattoo Chair
‘But wait, Sara,’ you might ask, ‘what about my butt? I need comfort too!’ Fear not. The rest of this article is all about your butt and how to make it comfortable. The first chair is simple and affordable. The height adjusts in case you are particularly tall or short, and the chair swivels around on wheels because we all know that’s fun. While tricky to put together for someone who’s never used one of these chairs before, the end result meets the standards for a movable artist tattoo chair. Of course, more comfortable artist tattoo chairs follow this one… Get it here.
- Widely used by many professions, including tattoo work.
- Plastic Base,
- 250lbs Capacity.
- 360 Degree Pivoting Seat.
- Durable PVC Leather best for Salon Using.
- High density sponge to avoid distortion.
- Adjustable height
- You can spin in it
- Cost: $
- Vague assembly directions
- Can only withstand pressure from one direction (top)
HomCom Adjustable Swivel Tattoo Chair – Black
This silly-looking stool actually serves a function for you and your butt. As we all know, sitting is bad for your health and is associated with a whole slew of disorders, but what if we could keep our risk down by a bit? The ingenious design of this stool keeps our legs from staying still all day. This artist tattoo chair encourages you to move naturally as you work and takes a cue from bike seat designers with its shape. Its comfy cushion, adjustable height, and unique shape all add up to a healthy sitting experience. As healthy as you can get, anyways. Get it here.
- This stool is suitable for hair salons, beauty parlors, tattoo studios and many more
- Includes 5 smooth rolling casters wheels
- The stool’s height is fully adjustable and keeps the clients within reach while in a sitting position
- Easy to assemble, lightweight and easy to store
- 5cm high density cushion – Comfortable while sitting for long periods
- Unique Seat Shape
- Comfy Cushion
- Does not work at ‘desk’ height
Sierra Comfort All-Inclusive Portable Massage Table
This portable massage chair remains so popular that clients sometimes buy one for themselves after experiencing one for the first time! So why am I bringing up a massage table at all? Because it works wonders for tattoo clients! This large table accommodates up to 450lbs and has a head rest so clients can comfortably lay face-down. While they relax, you can stretch their skin out and tattoo their back with ease!
Lots of studios forget that they need tables alongside chairs, especially for back tattoos. This portable tattoo table lets you handle any kind of tattoo, wherever end up going. The affordable cost makes it one of the cheapest things on this list, too! Get it here.
- Maple Hardwood for Strong and Aesthetic Support
- Optional Face Cradle, Arm Rest, and Arm Supports
- Waterproof and Oil-resistant
- Includes a Fitted Sheet and Carrying Bag
- 5-year Warranty
- Holds up to 450lbs of Client
- Incredibly Cheap ($)
- Includes a ton of extra stuff
- Trusted Brand
- Large Weight Capacity
- 5-year warranty, great for businesses!
- Can’t tilt up
Master Massage 31″ Montclair Professional Portable Massage Table Package
This behemoth of a portable chair uses certified Aircraft-grade steel to support up to 750lbs of client! If you find yourself worrying about your portable tattoo chair when heavier clients make it sag, then it’s time for an upgrade. On top of using steel, it uses sturdy mahogany hardwood for a beautiful and sturdy frame. The cables allow you to easily adjust the height of the table.
And, when you’re ready to pack up and get on the road? The table simply folds together. Use the included case to carry it wherever you need to go. It can even fit in the trunk of a car for extended journeys. This table works best for back tattoos, thanks to the massage-style headrest, but you can also use it for any tattoos (or for heavier clients, when you don’t want to test your regular equipment). You can get it here.
- 31x 84 x 24- 34 height in inches
- Weighs 36lbs
- Contains 3” Memory Foam
- Exterior is Oil & Waterproof
- Mahogany Legs
- Aircraft-grade steel for total capacity of 750lbs
- Includes Face Cradle with Cushion, Arm Shelf, Music CDs (to relax clients), and a Carrying Case
- Worth every penny ($$)
- Can hold huge clients
- Portable and lightweight
- Chair lays flat
Do you like what you see? Did you find what you need? If you answered yes to either of those, I’ve done my job. Improving your tattoo shop by purchasing new furniture helps improve your brand image and client experience. Returning clients will be excited to see your shop improving, and new clients will be dazzled by the comfort of the seats and ease of the procedure. When they go home raving about your awesome tattoo shop and recommend it to their friends, you’ll know you did yourself a huge favor by improving their time in your shop. And if you get a better stool for yourself…your butt will thank you, too!
If you enjoyed this article, check out the rest of InkDoneRight! Articles on the inked world, inked history, inked people, and galleries fill the pages of our site! You can follow our Twitter or join our email list for updates to tattoo culture as they happen. As always, thanks for reading!